Thursday, March 20, 2008

John Lakovits


John Lakovits is one of our most avid choral singing enthusiasts, currently singing in two choirs, ours and one led by former Burbank Chorale Music Director, Frank Basile. I recall him making a very quick exit after our Dorothy Chandler performance, trying hard not to be late for his second gig of the evening. Interestingly, John manages to sing first tenor in our choir and bass in the other one. I guess it follows that he could easily sing baritone in a third! He tells us:

I was born in New York. My family and I moved to Colorado when I was 7. I grew up there, then moved to Southern California in 1980 with hopes of becoming a screenwriter. Since then I have worked in a variety of fields including journalism, human resources, office support, marketing, public relations, escrow, to name a few. I also have a background in improvisational comedy, which I still occasionally teach. My last nine years have been spent working as an escrow officer. As the mortgage/banking industry is in a bit of slump -- pardon my understatement -- I am now in the process of transitioning into another field.

Though I have no professional training I have sung in several choirs in my life, most recently—before Burbank—with a small group back in the early 90's called the Ad Hoc Chorale run by one Frank Basile whom I believe some of you are familiar with. I was drafted into Frank's choir by Anita Van Tellingen. In 2006, Anita suggested I feed my current spiritual and creative longing by checking out the Burbank Chorale, which she had been a part of. I immediately felt I was home my first night. Needing even more, last summer I joined Frank's choir, the Friends of Music, at St. Bedes in Mar Vista.

I appreciate the learning experience I have had with Burbank Chorale so far. For somebody who has no formal education in music it's a true joy to be able work with a musical director like Misha. His patience and sense of humor make each rehearsal something to look forward to. His style of directing is also an education in itself. I used to think a 5th was something you purchased form the liquor isle at the market. Misha has taught me otherwise. The fact that he not only directs us but adds to our musical knowledge is one of the things I like best about being a part of the Chorale.

Some of you met my dear friend and creative partner, Toni Attell, at Glen and Amy's soirée last summer. She and I created a live show that is based on the Golden Age of Radio, Television and Film. It's similar to Vaudeville with our own updated twist. Right now we are performing at retirement communities, but are working on selling a similar, more educational version, to the school system. Since a part of our show includes music, I have learned how to capture, edit and burn music, so we don't have to pay somebody else to do it for us.

No comments: